Working in New Zealand

Aotearoa New Zealand is open to veterinarians from around the world.

We're here to support you through the process.


Veterinary qualifications

To practise or use the title veterinarian in New Zealand, you must be registered with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand (VCNZ) and have a current annual practising certificate (APC).

The VCNZ accepts veterinary degrees from the following countries outside New Zealand:

  • Australia
  • Europe
  • United Kingdom
  • South Africa
  • United Stated
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • West Indies

Learn more about registering with the VCNZ


Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is all about maintaining and enhancing your veterinary skills and knowledge. The VCNZ recommends veterinarians undertake at least 20 hours of CPD a year, but this isn't a strict requirement.

All veterinarians in New Zealand must:

  • Prepare a written CPD plan
  • Take part in CPD activities
  • Record their CPD activity
  • Review their written plan at least once a year.

Veterinary practice in New Zealand

Work-life balance.

New Zealand's work-life balance is just right. When you work in New Zealand, your leave entitlements are protected by law.

Every worker gets:

  • At least 20 days (four weeks) paid annual leave.
  • An additional 11 days off each year for public holidays.
  • Bereavement and sick leave (depending on how long you've worked for your employer).
  • Up to 26 weeks paid parental leave (and up to 52 weeks leave from work to care for your new child)

New Zealand Veterinary Association

The New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA) is the only membership association representing New Zealand veterinarians. We've supported our members and the veterinary profession since 1923 (nearly 100 years!). Around 70% of veterinarians in New Zealand are members of the NZVA, and many practices pay for their employees' membership.

Join the New Zealand Veterinary Association